Monday, November 4, 2013

A change in time

I don't understand daylight savings time. It's not like it is universal or that we don't have modern conveniences like electricity. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra hour in the Fall... I just hate the adjustment. It feels like jet-lag, but without the satisfaction of going somewhere exciting that takes you out of the day to day monotony of the usual weekday routine.

I have had severe bouts of seasonal effective disorder in the past, so I love waking up to daylight and having more natural sunlight during the day. I love waking up feeling better rested and with more energy, as the time now fits closer to my natural circadian rhythm. What I hate is CONSTANTLY feeling hungry. I hate feeling ready to pass out from exhaustion at 3 in the afternoon. I'm a night person. Always have been. Night is me time!

The tiredness may very well have to do with chasing a toddler, whose schedule is now completely off. While the childless get an extra hour of sleep in the morning, a small child will automatically wake up an hour earlier wondering why you keep talking about some round piece of plastic with numbers on it. It seems like kids get wackier with the change in time, temperature, and season, too.

The hunger is probably natures way of fattening us up for the winter cold. Thanks nature! Just undo all the hard work I've done to get to a healthy weight over the spring and summer! I mean, it would be one thing, if I was going to hibernate...god, I would love to hibernate! Can humans hibernate?!



 
If you are like me and wonder about the history of all things trivial, this is a really great article on Day Light Savings Time.   I am off to take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment