Wednesday, November 6, 2013

So, you had a bad day

Today has been crap - one of those days where you wish you could have stayed in bed. Being a mom doesn't allow this, though. Some days, it's the best job in the world and some days it can be unbelievably frustrating.

I love my son with all of my heart, he really is a good kid, and I don't completely blame this day from hell on him. Yes, having to listen to Yo Gabba Gabba 4 over and over again can be maddening, no matter how much you enjoy the bands on it. It's even more maddening when he wants to listen to it and then has you scan through each song several times saying "no dis one!!!" to each one. I mean, EVERY, song on the CD! When I told him he obviously didn't like the CD, so I was turning it off, he freaked. F-ing toddlers, man! Pretending you can't here him doesn't work, as he gets upset and keeps asking you to put the CD back on - the same one he hates all of the songs on now...maybe because we've heard them so many times!!! Argh!!!

If these were my friends, I wouldn't bite them -
I'd dick punch them. Hard. With steel-toed boots...

He was punished and did apologize to the woman who accidentally got a handful of crayons to the face at the playgroup this morning ("we don't throw" is becoming a monotonous daily chant; while persistence is beginning to pay off, it is still exasperating when he knows better, gets excited and throws something, anyway, and someone gets hurt). Punishment was leaving, immediately. No more animals, crayons, playdough, or stickers. No more fun with other kids. Although, secretly, it was also the only way to get him out of the building and to the car. We HAD to leave. The playgroup is at the local animal shelter and, today, someone decided not to pick up their dog shit. Guess what? Little man stepped in it. His shoes, with tons of treds, were ruined. His white pants, also, became smeared all over with shit. It happened to be one of those rare days, when we didn't have a change of clothes. Cue taking him - a 2.5 year old - in a diaper, blanket, and shirt - to our favorite second hand children's clothing store for new shoes and pants. You would think things would now be on the up, but you would be wrong.




You see, Cambridge, where my spouse works, and where we dropped him off at work this morning and then had to go back through to get from the playgroup to the clothing store, has some lovely people who think the best place to park their BMW is right in the middle of a crowded street. Even better when men driving giant trucks think it is cool to live park in the only lane open, thanks to heavy construction. Did I mention that jackass hipster (NOT cop or construction worker; I'm talking a random dude here...) who decided today was a great day to start trying to direct traffic? Or the dinks in their Prius', on their bikes, and on their scooters who whip out into on-coming traffic and hope for the best, despite having a stop sign/light and about an inch between them and the grill of your car? Remember the non-stop chants of "no dis one" and the soundtrack of Yo Gabba Gabba? Try to stay sane during all of that.




The remedy to all of this madness seemed simple - get some chocolate, put little man down for an early nap, and try to get in a hot shower... Except, the hot water died out after 5 minutes, the boy is still awake upstairs banging around, and the chocolate wasn't that great.

If I had more time to myself and some more disposable cash, I would love to just go out by myself for a relaxing mani-pedi and a drink. Alas, I put my pajamas on and am laying bundled up on the couch, typing this entry out, while Unsolved Mysteries plays in the background.

I have to say, despite the crap day, it was nice to sit down in comfy clothes and read some books to my son, hearing "I love you, mama" and getting a sweet hug and kiss. It's even better to be able to plant my ass on the couch for a few hours and do nothing. The dishes in the sink, the toys on the floor, and everything else I need to do around the house can wait. It might have been a bad day, but my life is blessed. I just need to remind myself of that when life is making me nuts!


No comments:

Post a Comment